Sunday, September 03, 2006

Comic relief - in case you feel like raving


Apologies for missing the month of august, but it being the first sunday of september I'm posting right on time and present you with two albums.

The first: a compilation CD entitled Female Artists of the 60s. On the one hand yes I thought it would be kind of funny, but yesterday I saw a play entitled "The Real Thing" that started to make me think a bit about what it was the inspired the Feldheim in the first place: snobbery and elitism. The play is set in the early 80s and a subplot in the play involves the protagonist having to come up with his 8 all time great songs he would take with him to a desert island. The protagonist is a playwright, considers himself to be an intellectual and is embarrassed by the fact the music he loves is pop music from his youth, the same era as the songs on this album. He's embarrassed because he thinks that he should like more serious music instead. "Oldies" have always been a bit if a guilty pleasure of mine. Growing up I was always listen to them because my dad would play them in the car and it just kind of stuck. So I post female artists of the 60s curious as to what you all think. Do you respect this music? Do you think enjoying it is comparable to taking pleasure in the musical stylings of today's pop princesses? Or does it simply need to be restricted to certain settings like the soundtracks of formulaic big budget romantic comedies? I don't have a problem reconciling my enjoyment of the songs on this album with calling myself part of the listening elite. In fact I would go so far as to say that it's the diversity of genres in my musical collection which in part elevates me into that category.

Moving on: I've also posted DJ Baby Anne's Dark Side of the Boom. I like to listen to this album when I'm studying or walking or cooking, it's probably also good for driving. But really this album was most likely not designed to provide a backdrop to any of those activities but instead for some serious rocking out. She also falls into the category of "a chick with turntables" and if I'm not mistaken a couple of your comments to a previous post of mine indicated that you think that's really hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home