Wednesday, July 05, 2006

REBUTTAL: No Lunchbox......Hipsters and Hippies do not share the same blood type

Indie Rock and CrapInYourEar Rock (JamBandAffiliated "Music") ((read: Phish, String Cheese, No Talent Ass Clowns)) are not directly analogous. They are analogous, though. My fist is also analogous to your face. There are ways to connect dots if you really try hard enough. 80s Disco and 90s Grunge are analogous. They have a correlation, but I wouldn't say they were the same fad. Same with the hipsters and the hippies. Hipsters may be the new hippies, but in the way that Toyota is the new Ford.

I do agree with your description of high school kids and the older brother passing down the good musicness. Yes, high school breeds pretentiousness and music-nazism in regards to musical listening. You form a very strong attachment to music, and it is affiliated with who you are, and what group of people you hang out with. Especially if you are a musician. Your blinding attachment to genres may cloud your judgment, just like the colors of a hackey-sack tell you to listen to shit music. We played paintball and listened to deftones.

Here's my statement: A fish parking lot in 1998 did not influence the Pitchfork Music Festival in 2006 anymore than disco in the 80s influenced Grunge in the 90s. If anything, they were a backlash against what people felt was
"Shit In My Ears" music.

You will currently find many burnt out hippies (especially in Portland) wishing they could go to one more Phishfeststock. Alas, the days of the Samples are over. Long live the Fiery Furances and !!!. Radiohead and Beck adapt and change, because they are good enough to, and this is also why they will go down as some of the best musicians of the 20th century.

And just so you know, I did listen to Yo La Tengo in the 90s, and I didn’t even have an older sibling to tell me to.

Oh, and Fuck Dispatch. Especially that song "The General" - Everytime I hear that song it reminds me of horrible nightmares and sticky beer in basements of fraternities I snuck through a window to get into, because there's no way I'm giving $7 to a kid who's dad is Vice President of Futures Commodities Trading at JP Morgan.

Also, to end on a positive note, and not fill the world with spite............................

While I hate phish and think that Trey is overrated and uses the same chord progression too many times, I will share a story that makes him ok in my book:

He was suspended from college, which is kind of how Phish formed, because he had time to do the band thing. Here's why he was suspended...... Anastasio broke into the science building and stole a human hand and a goat's heart. He sent it to his friend as a prank with a note that said "I've got to hand it to you, you've got heart."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home