Saturday, September 30, 2006

Trend Set Match

I have a new question/experiment.

Mardi Gras 2004: Three catch "shouts" were obnoxiously ubiquitous among the southern-party-elite: I'm Rick James Bitch!!!, OK!!!-WHAT?!?-YEAH!!, and I believe in a thing called LOVE!!! Two were blindly originated by Dave Chapelle's second season and the third by an English Rock band called The Darkness. When The Darkness hit the scene in early 2004 they were widely embraced, especially for the aforementioned song. It didn't matter if you were a hipster, a scenester, young, old, or just a 'normy' (my new derogatory term for a "normal," non elite, person... Please start spreading it) you liked that damn song. And it was cool to like that song because it reminded everyone of Queen/T. Rex/Cheap Trick, etc. Easy power chords, soaring falsetto, nonsensical lyrics about love, etc. all added up to make a perfect song. "OMG!" all of the normies would say, "It's like at first I thought that Frankie Mercury made another song that wasn't on my Greatest Hits CD, but then I remembered that he got the HIV and died, LOL!!! So he couldn't have made another song!" The jaded cynics (most likely part of some douchebag post rock band) would say that they were just ripping off the bands that had perfected the style in the mid-80's.

That got me thinking. No shit. Why wouldn't more of today's bands completely rip-off bands that had made a unique style for themselves? That might be a blasphemous line of thought to bring up among the Feldheim, the majority of whose members value "innovation," "redefining genres," and "pushing the boundaries" more than any other musical attributes. Sure, I agree. But 99% of today's musicians don't have the talent, vision, and style to reinvent the wheel... so why not just try to perfect and tweak the old ones. Now, within the past 6 years or so we have seen a plethora of new bands that rip-off older, established acts (think any "The" band). But, most of these bands they were imitating were never really that great, (at least according to most "normies") but were just a fad. Yes, today's musical knowledgeable still sweat The Smiths and The Cure and Joy Division and The Clash and Television Personalities, etc... but to the mainstream they were just flashes in the fad pan.

But everyone rips each other off. Today's acts rip off the older ones, the older classic rock guitar gods ripped off the jazz greats, the jazz greats ripped off both the blues greats and off classical, the blues greats ripped off Africa, etc. If you want to be a popular band, why wouldn't you just completely mimic the best pop acts ever: The Beatles (Oasis), Michael Jackson (Justin Timberlake), Led Zeppelin (Wolfmother)?

Lest I digress. The point being is that within the past 6 years, new music went through a revival of late 70's to mid 80's post-punk, new-wave, and glam-funk. MY QUESTION: WHAT WILL BE THE NEXT OLDER MUSICAL STYLE OR GROUP TO GO THROUGH A RESURGENCE IN CONTEMPORARY MUSIC?

In two years who will be re-idolized? Which older bands will it be suddenly cool to not have thrown out from your musical collection? Look into your crystal balls... where is music heading?

I personally think that the Sunset Strip acts (GNR, Poison, Quiet Riot, etc) will make a big comeback in the rock scene. I also see psychadelics making a comeback and in two years it may be really hip to re-break out your Grateful Dead 1977 tour shirt when going to your favorite Brooklyn dive. I foresee some douchy art-rock band being cheesy enough to rip off Devo (or another outlandish stage performance) and making a killing from it. Reggae sticks its nappy head into the music scene every few years - and we really haven't had any good bands since Sublime that utilized reggae well. Except Shaggy of course.

Anyway, let me know what you think. After we all have submitted our ideas... let's make an experiment out of forcing our opinions on the rest of the world. I guarantee that we can convince people that it was a big mistake to have thrown away their Ace of Base merchandise. Normies are dumb.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela.Lansbury said...

Interestic topic. Wait till I drop the the self titled from Men, Women, & Children and you'll have my answer.

12:38 PM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Angela.Lansbury said...

No reggae? what about Damien Marley's Welcome to Jamrock? Fantastic album. I'm gonna go ahead and call metal. ACDC, Van Halen, as well as swedish acts like Katatonia and In Flames are gonna be cool.

Not like they ever weren't.

12:57 PM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Toonzie said...

I think the predictions thus far are rather on point as such resurgences will certainly parallel the latest fashion trends. Speaking from personal experience I find myself reviving many an item from my mom's closet that she save for times like this and lately people think its cool and don't laugh at me when i that I'm going to see the pet shop boys in a couple of weeks.

That being said I think i'm going to steal my dad's Four Tops albums from him next time I'm home and see if I can single handedly make motown cool again.

4:28 PM, September 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home