Saturday, September 30, 2006

Deep Thoughts From One Cool Cat


today while I was walking past a bike co-op near my apartment I saw 2 children about 7 years old taking 7" records out of a patchwork hippie style bad that I would have brought with me to a Phish concert circa 1998 and throwing them against the wall of the co-op until the crashed to the ground in pieces. I would expect that from a bratty kid from Scarsdale (I never hurled it against the wall but I did destroy Big Bird Leads the Band), but not from from the children of hippies. I just think it is crazy that I used to have records when I was younger and CDs are nearly obsolete to today's youth.

Also, I'd like to pose a question. Architecture in Helsinki is opening for clap your hands say yeah in a couple of weeks. I had to miss Architecture in Helsinki last time they were around in the interest of earning my JD. I hear they put on a fantastic show, is it worth it for me to buy the ticket just for the opening act?

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela.Lansbury said...

You know, I recall going to see a show at the Robert Purcell Union. I Don't know whether it was junior or senior year. Frankly, I was probably drunk.

Any how, we had a divere group and most people were excited for a bunch of douchebags dubbed The Rapture.

I, on the other hand, was excited for the openers, The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. On the first note, a rather tubby sonofabitch, starting to push people around.

The energy in the room just couldn't be matched.

I also recall leaving halfway through the set of the headliner.

12:11 AM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Toonzie said...

That was fun, but that was also free

8:17 AM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Ritter said...

In 1996 I bought tickets to go see a No Doubt show, with the only intention of staying for the opener, Weezer. Unfortunately I was grounded the day before the show and could not go.

In 1997, I went to the Camden E Center to see Rusted Root open up for Santana. Rusted Root was in their hey and was surprisingly awesome. But then Santana (pre-Supernatural revival) was surprisingly very boring and we had no problem leaving.

I say go. Clap Your Hands will either somehow put on a good show that you will enjoy, or you will get very angry and leave. Either way, you'll most likely get an emotional stimulus from what would be a band that hemorrhages apathy. Plus, I guarantee that it will be extremely amusing to see the Minnesota-Jaded-Indie-Allstar audience come out from their frigid isolation and stand lanky and without pose while wearing their bangs in front of their face underneath their large black-rimmed glasses. I bet the mullets aren't as much reminiscent of the new Euro-Trash trend, but rather the 1990's Jaromir Jagr hockey fashion movement.

10:51 AM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger How To Swim said...

of course it's ok.

shit, if it wasn't ok, you can take off about 1/2 my concert experiences, and about 3/4 of my concert experiences with angela.

AIH are cool, but a bit overrated IMO. Clap are good people, solid album, but not so great live. It's one of those shows that you know exactly what is going to happen, who is going to be there, and what it will sound like before you go.

3:59 PM, October 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home