Monday, October 02, 2006

What's Next

Ritter you do pose the most interesting questions

What music style is gonna be aped next?

I don't know if this will be the next big thing,

Men Women and Children are one of the phoenixes born of the ashes of Long Island hardcore outfit Glassjaw. Listening to the first track of their self titled disc, the rattled guitar riff, the descending bass, the driving beat, you think it's going in the same direction as the funereal dissonance that made Glassjaw a household name.

Well, at least in my household. I like my coffee black like my metal, baby.

BUt just as you're rotating your neck to start head banging, you hear you the synth strings. You struggle with the difficulty to comprehend what you are hearing.

Yes, that's right.

It's disco.

Disco is perhaps one of the most reviled eras of musical history. It's as if we want to forget we ever danced. Though I wasn't alive then, I think I know what the disco era was about. I've seen Forrest Gump.

And I've seen Boogie Nights.

Disco was about carefee cocaine fueled fun. It didn't matter. It was carefree senseless pop music.

That is, I think, where Men Women and Children differ. Although their tracks are fun, I don't believe they are carefree at all. There is a certain precision and deliberate sound to the record. You don't just drop the beat and overdub chants on digital hand claps without mustering intent! Songs like Photosynthesis high lighting the Band's synth memeber, while drawing from from Freddy Mercury's stable of vocal range, everything from breathy 'another one bites the dust' baritone to belting out clear 'Don't Stop Me Now" tenor.

Interestingly enough, a refreshed rejuvenated Screech just commented:

"Hmmmm, the Bee Gees saw a brief resurgence with the Fugee's Stayin' Alive some years ago.

With the fad of bellbottoms and aviators, I would not be surprised to find a disco wave washing through. The tide will likely start flowing from Europe. Outfits like Dmitri from Paris or Boris will start the trouble in Ibiza, and it'll flow down from there. "

Sure, some tracks like Who Found Mister Fabulous and Monkey Monkey Mensound a bit like they're trying out-gay the Scissor Sisters.

And by the look of their press photos.....

It would seem that these guys are just about to be doing the french mistake.

Anyone?

Anyone get the reference?

But Messy and At Night I Like to Fightfire right back with their mathematical riffs and a David Lee Roth sensibility with lines like "take off that attitude, but keep on those high heel shoes."

Besides, nobody out-gays David Lee Roth.

I mean nobody!

Nice neckercheif diamond Dave. Soon you'll be wearing ascots to family reunions, drinking old fashioneds. Proclaiming, "I just haven't found the right girl, OK?!"

Kinda like Woody circa 2017.

This is not an earth shattering development in music.

MWC, not neckercheifs and scots.

Sure, Franz Ferdinand and the Killers wanted people to dance, but they just made rock with a dance beat. And monotone vocals. No one want to dance to that crap.

MWC don't want you to dance. They tell you on the first track: "You don't need a reason..." I think some of the Feldheim members will take a first listen and write this disc off. I know I did, when I listened to the first single nearly a year ago. I probably wouldn't even have given it credence if I didn't know that Todd Weinstock was involved. But the more I listened the more I liked it. I knew that is was over-produced with meaningless lyrics. I knew Pitchfork would never review this groovy LP.

But I also knew that it was fun as hell.

3 Comments:

Blogger Screech said...

I see you've had Me First & the Gimme Gimmes in heavy rotation on Last.FM.

I approve.

9:33 PM, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Jafar said...

glassjaw was one of the greatest bands of all time. Todd and Daryl created a unique, original sound that created a slew of copycats. i will listen, but I know that I will be dissapointed simply because glassjaw had the potential to become the greatest hardcore band in the history of hardcore.

LI HARDCORE REPRESENT.

11:31 PM, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Angela.Lansbury said...

Agreed. but mourn not, young camel jockey.

Since MWC are their own thing, to discount their presence in Glassjaw's absence, would be like reviling foie gras for the death of a goose.

And they only do that shit in crazyfornia. so maybe you're justified

12:29 AM, October 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home