Friday, June 09, 2006

What rhymes with, 'Our Generation's Defining Album?'

Interesting topic indeed. I agree, Jafar, Weezer was a great album. Always one of my personal favorites. But I think our generation is still defining itself.


So why not pick a disc that's by a member?

Twentysomething

I have chosen to write my piece in the style of Jurrassic five to show my influcence from black people.

So I must give respect to brit Jamie Culllum,
his tunes are somber, sweet; but never sullen
resurrection of jazz, spectacle of youth,
though he covers dean martin, he ain’t a spoof.
It's a takes a bad motherfucker to do Radiohead,
but jamie tackles the task with a masterly intent.
Take a listen, my friends, you won't regret
this album takes you down like major credit card debt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jafar said...

[Matt:] Hey bra, how we doin' man?
[Karl:] All right.
[Matt:] It's been a while man, life's so rad!
This band's my favorite man, don't ya love 'em?
[Karl:] Yeah.
[Matt:] Aw man, you want a beer?
[Karl:] All right.
[Matt:] Aw man, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff.
This is great, man.
[Karl:] Yeah.
[Matt:] Hey, did you know about the party after the show?
[Karl:] Yeah.
[Matt:] Aw man, it's gonna be the best, I'm so stoked! Take it easy bra'.

- if this didnt define a generation I don't know what did. Also, I refuse to allow a Brit to define MY AMERICAN GENERATION. Especially someone named Jamie. I don't care how talented he is. Plus, let's do a Blog Vote. How many people own this album??? Not I said the Persian.

Rivers was born in NYC, raised on an Ashram run by the yoga master Swami Satchidananda, then formed the band in 1992 in Los Angeles. He went to Harvard and Los Angeles Community College, USC, SMC, and even the Berklee College of Music.

10:35 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger The Big Red Box said...

indeed. I feel this album defines me. It's one of the few discs I bought in middle school to which I listen on a regular basis.

I've often told the story, of how this album represents a defining moment in my life. Buying a CD in 7th grade represented the savings of allowance, lawn mowing money, etc. It was a big purchase. There were two singles I dug. T'he Sweater Song,' and this jam, 'What Would You Say?'

I gave both discs a listen in the store, and decided to buy Weezer and not Dave Matthews. The rest is delightfully ignominable, elitist history.

Twentysomething represents us. Taking what was done by our parents and turning it on it's head. Finding happiness, love, and ourselves.

"don't make me live for my friday nights, drinkning eight pints and getting in fights."

I think that's my g-g-g-g-generation.

11:38 AM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home