Saturday, June 03, 2006

What Ever Happened to My Rock & Roll?

Why did I choose Coheed and Cambria's epic new album for my inaugural Feldheim submission? Quite simply, it been dominating my playlist since I bought it*.

Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness not only has one of the greatest┬░ album title in years, but features the long lost art of swooping, dueling guitars; patient enough to make Roger Waters and David Gilmour say, "man, speed it up a bit...we ain't got all day!"

Plus each song is so over dubbed, distorted guitars begin to sound like orchestras^. And the vocals have so many tracks it's tough to keep count.

OK, I gotta admit on first listen they are bit annoying. It hindered my acceptance for sure.

But goddamn are they distinctive! Surely lead singer Claudio Sanchez will be placed in the ranks of Geddy Lee, Bon Scott, Steven Tyler, and Clay Aikens.

Finally, I think this disc marks a return to rock and roll. From the whiniest of screamo, (sorry Mr BinLaden), the wussiest of folk rock (regrets, Mr Ritter), and the most atonal of indie (apologies, Mr. Allen), Coheed could be defined as progressive, or arena emo, punk-infused-jam-concept-metal

I think just rock fits fine.



*in CD form. I pre-ordered. Free t shirt and DVD.
┬░read: Longest
^Well, actually there are real strings on some tracks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home