Monday, June 05, 2006

The Eraser

The Kingdom of Great Britainwas established in 1707 as a unified political entity. Radiohead became a musical entity in the year 1986. A quintet hailing from a land known as Oxfordshire, fronted by a tiny man named Thom. Falling under the spell of The Pixies and R.E.M., the tiny man Thom would prepare his crusade against all that is mediocre in his quest to progress and evolve musically.

From Pablo Honey to Hail to the Thief, Radiohead is a band of many faces. Their current studio resembles a NASA control room with various synths and samplers permeating their surroundings.

A man who once worked as an orderly in a mental institute, and a man who received five operations in his first five years due to a paralyzed left eye, Thom may be against globalization, but his music has proven to bring the world together. Becoming one of the biggest and most successful bands that ever graced a stage, it's almost a given that anyone who knows anything about popular musical composition loves Radiohead. It is a perquisite for an elitist engaging in a musical conversation. (Except in Willamsburg Brooklyn, where it’s not cool to love Thom, because then you might as well live in the East Village)

The constant evolution of Radiohead has given them a sense of urgency. A band that takes risks, but never seems to fail. The latest risk is Thom Yorke's "solo" album, "The Eraser." Produced by the "sixth member of Radiohead," Nigel Goodrich, the album continues the electronic emphasis of Radiohead.

Providing a backdrop for your listening, I leave you to make your judgments regarding the album. I'd be happy to share my thoughts regarding the album, but maybe after you decide for yourself. I will say this though; it's probably better than whatever you are currently listening to. The album will officially be released on July 11th, and at that time I will repost, so that the official album will be on the Feldheim. I just figured I would add to our elitism by posting an album before it comes out. That way we can engage in conversations that go like this:

Non-Elitist:

"bro, did you hear Thom Yorke is releasing a solo album, it comes out in little over a month."

Feldheim Elitist:

"it's a great album, I really feel that Nigel did a great job producing this one, the album is beginning to feel like my own epidermis, I was surprised to see that Nigel laid off the reverb on the vocals, and more surprised that Thom let him. It seems that after all these years, the chemistry those studio rats have built has inexorably led them to make such an album. I think they used an 808 on cymbal rush, but knowing Thom, it's probably some custom casio."

Enjoy,

Osama

* I just wanted to point out that I resent the symbolic nature of the picture that represents me on the Feldheim. That being stated, the overly successful comedic nature of the picture leaves me with no choice but to accept this picture as my representation. I in no way support any acts of violence in the name of any silly religion. I in no way support the wearing of towels on one’s head. Also, I am from Iran, not Saudi Arabia. That being said.........Death to all Infidels!!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jafar said...

perquisite = prerequisite

college: prerequisite
work: perquisite

12:28 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Toonzie said...

I propose that Osama be replaced with Aladdin riding his magic carpet.

12:32 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger woody.allen said...

That's not funny/stereotypical enough

1:23 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Toonzie said...

I respectfully disagree with woody.allen and think that Aladdin does embrace an arab stereotype, a stereotype that is arguably funnier than Osama and and more creative precisely because it doesn't deal with terrorism. it's also a little "retro". But i'm happy to provide other suggestions that actually relate to his native land: can the Iran Contra Scandal or Persian Mafia be depected by a single image? How about a picture or Ronald Regan or a BMW.
But i don't want to look at a picture of Osama Bin Laden every time i visit our blog!

2:39 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger woody.allen said...

How about a picture of Iranian president Ahmadinejad. He's a triple threat -- Iranian, president and terrorist. At least its a little more representative of Ali-- after all, he is from Iran.

2:49 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger The Big Red Box said...

http://www.antislavery.org/homepage/images/child-camel-jockey-big2.jpg?

Woody, once you get an submission in, then you can talk shit.


any comments on the submission?

4:36 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger woody.allen said...

firstly, my submission is in, just not the review yet. Secondly, I will talk all the shit I want. Whateva, I do what I want!

4:52 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Jafar said...

Dear friends, and fellow patriots,

Thank you for your concern. Osama is a fucknut, Ahamdinejajdidjeajdi is a fucknut as well. So is Bush. So is King Gyanendra. So is Abdullah bin Abdulaziz. Most countries' leaders are. It's a fate of politics.

I agree with the "Fuck Osama, I don't want to see his face" sentiment that Toonz parlayed so well. I would like to be portrayed by a positive historical figure. Such as Darius the Great ("He Who Holds Firm the Good"), or Rumi, or Abbas Kiarostami even.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_the_Great
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbas_Kiarostami

Aladdin is also fine with me.

- Aliban

10:44 AM, June 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home