Sunday, June 04, 2006

Blog This!: Ta Det Lugnt & Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs

My decision to do two, indie-hipster albums as my first submission to the Feldheim was not necessarily based upon stylistic or cultural influence in as much as technical necessity. You see, my Macintosh G4 PowerBook actually crashed, much to my shock, surprise, and inconvenience (NSFW!). Not to mention to Lansbury's maligned indifference*. Regardless, I did not have the luxury to choose from my entire vault of musical gems, but only from the few hard-compact-discs I still keep with me. That being said, I apologize for having to preface my first submission with excuses, but I am trying to put my decision(s) into proper perspective.

Dungen: "Ta Det Lugnt." Dungen is a Swedish band that I honestly do not know much about, nor do I have the time or energy to research them right now. After all, I have more important things to do with my time (such as write witty, cynical blog entries explaining how I do not have time to research [how ironic!]).

Regardless, I had a friend from High School send me this CD randomly, which was interesting because I had happened to walk by their tent during the Coachella festival a few weeks ago (how serendipitous!). I find the CD to be very interesting, difficult to classify, and impossible to understand (after all, all of the lyrics are in Swedish [how exotic!]).

The songs are long, guitar and melody driven, and I'm not sure if it reminds me more of the recent Indie-rock opusi (my new plural for opus) or the monster-ballads from late 80's, early 90's hair bands. Regardless, I think that it makes for fun-driving music and if anything it gives me an idea for a new country that I wish for my country to invade.

Andrew Bird: "Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs." I first heard of this band when I was doing my usual year-end-read-up-on-everyone's-top-albums-of-the-year-list-like-the-impressionable-piece-of-shit-I-am Internet surfing, and saw this album appear on multiple lists, including the Number One album of the year for the Too-Cool-For-School Prefix Mag. I had heard some random songs here and there, but did not fully appreciate the CD until our dear friend, and fellow Feldheimite Osama (Good Allah Lansbury, couldn't you have picked a different Arab stereotype for an avatar) lent it to me.

During a late-night drive from Pasadena to West Los Angeles, I got lost in the minimalist guitar, mellow voice, impressive whistling, and passionate violin (I also realized that I was indeed gay). The CD reminds me of being lost in an Arizona desert with some good friends and good drugs, before somehow winding up at a trendy Brooklyn bar and then seeing Andrew Bird play live.

So, indeed I chose TWO CD's just because I suffer from first-day-of-school-what-to-wear syndrome. It is my first impression, and I did not know if I wanted to front the strong, complex, power chord RITTER, or the mellow, chill, thought-provoking RITTER. I cannot wait to see what you all decided to put in the Feldheim. So, enjoy, please let me know what you think, and I hope that you all have a wonderful month.



*editors note: the hard drive crashed. Not the Mac. Always back up your data.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Big Red Box said...

So I still gotta go out and get the andrew bird disc, but Ipicked up Dungen.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much it actually rocks. The riffs were unpredictable, but catchy. and There was some serious lyrtical overdubbing, too which I'm all for.

I actually thought I'd be seeing some latin american samba techno for your first submission, but this was a pleasant surprise.

11:59 AM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home