Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Album Artwork of our Generation

Ritter has posited another open ended question regarding our generation:

"We grew up having idolized the album covers of a previous generation. Through Spencer's posters, VH1 re-runs, and even Simpson's throwbacks, much album art of our parents' generation is commonplace and revered for us. Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, Are You Experienced, Sgt. Pepper's, Houses of the Holy, The Rolling Stones lips, Morrison Hotel, and (gasp!) even the Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits album art have all graced the walls of my adolescent bedroom and are easily recognizable.

That poses the question, what has been some of the most iconic album art of our generation? I don't care if the music associated with the album art is rap or punk or whatever; but what album covers will our children learn to instantly associate with our generation and revere? I don't necessarily need to hear from you Woody, oh my kids will have Radiohead posters all over their walls because I am going to expose them to good music or else I'll smack the shit out of them like a good Jewish father, blah blah.

You know what, let's specify the question to the most enduring album art that originated within the past 10 years (thus excluding Nevermind, The Chronic, Doggystyle, Midnight Maurauders, Get a Grip, White Trash Two Heebs and a Bean, Dookie, Weezer Blue, River of Dreams, Janet, The Bends, Anything from Weird Al, Master of Puppets, or the eternal psuedo-hippie art of When I Woke.

What do you think? Will the artwork of Weathered triumph twenty years from now like Wish You Were Here?"


Now I think Our recently deceased comic actor pal has some interesting suggestions. Of course Weezer, The River of Dreams, Nevermind, Dookie, and The Chronic, but as great as those are, Smash with it's glowing Skeleton is undoubtedly up there. Deftones' adrenaline, Korn's self titled, Pearl Jam's Ten, STP's Purple are equally as iconic. But to really pick one, is tough. At first, I thought Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell II: Back in to Hell. But maybe that's just me.

I would have to go with Aerosmith's Get a Grip. Sure, this band was actually form our parents' generation, but I guarantee we all ahd this album. Yes, even diverse as the feldheim is, I think everyone owned it. The misaligned and uneven font is how we would deface out text books. And a piercing. If our generation isn'a bout piercings, tell that to this guy. The image was shocking as well as funny. Kind of like us.

whatchu got?

1 Comments:

Blogger Toonzie said...

good question, I don't have an asnwer yet, although I might by the end of this post. Currently what comes to mind is the following: I really like the album cover to Boys Dont Cry. Maybe Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots...but really the question made me think of Spinal Taps black album art because "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."
got to go prepare for a deposition now....
peace

7:01 AM, June 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home